"I've traded in the tools for toys to be a SAHD. Some say i'm crazy ... others say i'm living the dream, I definitely agree with the latter"

Sunday 24 June 2012

We're pregnant!

We're not really, but I bet that got your attention though didn't it?! I have this weird policy when I write to not force it, it'll come when it's good and ready (or when i can be bothered to put it to paper ha) unfortunately for me it's arrival is at 2am when a decent nights shut eye wouldve been much appreciated! Anyway, I digress.

A few weeks ago wifey came home from work, later than usual, with complaints of Auckland's infamous wet weather traffic, and animosity towards her car stereo's lack of CD player. Following more light conversation, "Lets have another baby", she says just casually. My initial response was one of genuine surprise, we've always been fond of the idea of a younger one but hadn't yet had that discussion.

It got me thinking, and thinking more.. thinking so much my brain hurt, if my mind got paid double for working overtime I wouldn't have to go back to work anytime soon I tell ya! My logical side had all these adult-like questions.. How does one transport 3 little humans? Will 3 car seats fit in the back of my car? Do I need a new car? A minivan? Nooo not a minivan! What about walks? Surely I can't expect Carter's shorter than average legs to walk the same distance as mine? If I continue my SAHD status will I be able to handle another? I mean, I like to think I'm a good dad, but does that next step require even more superhuman powers? My creative side processed these queries and came up with a single answer.. She'll be right.

But the question that weighed heaviest on my mind.. Do I WANT another child?.. seemed to be the easiest to answer. Of course I do. I've always wanted a family, and I don't think I've ever put a restriction on how many members I think it should have, so as many as Laura fancied would suit me just fine. I feel for couples who struggle to conceive, and especially for those that can't at all, sometimes I can't help but feel a hint of guilt even though I shouldn't. When people see our boys, and their 19 month age gap, they often assume pregnancy comes easy to us, but that is not the case. We tried for almost 2 years prior to having our first born, and another 10 months before our second conception, so at first we did have those sad moments when we thought it wasn't going to happen.

Anyway, as a result of that conversation I guess you could say we're sorta trying, but kinda not, but maybe, or we'll just see what happens haha. With faces like these who wouldn't want more right?..




I'd love to hear from anyone with 3 or more kids, and how it's going for you.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

7 comments:

  1. hi, 1st time reader here, the im pregnant comment got my interest as you planned :P.
    Ive got 3 boys, my youngest 2 are the same ages as your 2, and i found the 3rd one kinda just fitted in, we did need to juggle the car around a bit and our oldest (6) now sits in the front seat if its just me or there dad, with all 5 of us then he squeezes in between the carseats.
    3 boys are fun! can be stressful at times but thats the same with any amount of kids. i found it easier to adjust when the 3rd one came along than it was trying to adjusting when the 2nd came along

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey bro, as you may know i have 4 Kids and we want more hehehe...Finances have never been an issue i guess it becomes one when you put it as a priority but i mean You always get by... all we live by is as long as our kids are healthy, happy puku full of kai and lotsa love LIFES GREAT.. upside to lots of kids is theres never a dull moment in our house always laughter noise and they all keep me on my toes life would be boring without them :) oh and birthday parties always go off and are so much fun!! Jewel :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have 4 and it is awesome. we wouldn't have it any other way. Each family member that arrives completes our family a bit more. our 2 youngest are the same age as your boys and then we have a almost 5yr old and a daughter who is 7 in a few months. It is a very busy time but so much fun. I found #3 and #4 just fitted in straight away. We dont have the tidy house we used to, but we have 4 healthy happy children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally get where you are coming from - the guilt for having kids when so many struggle or can't.
    Another awesome BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love reading your blogs & super cute kids! We have 3 and I feel the same way you do wondering whether to go for 4. We had 3 under 3 once our twins arrived. Three kids = totally doable, 3 carseats fit in the backseat of our 5 seater suv (although we did measure the backseats during test drives), double buggy for the younger 2 & 4 year old either rides his bike, sits quite comfortably on the foot rest of the duet mountain buggy or a buggy board for Carter to stand on would work perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to see my plan to engage readers worked! Haha

    Kelly - welcome! Glad to have another reader, this is my way of adult interaction without having to get amongst Auckland's yuck winter weather too much. I guess transitioning from 2 to 3 would in ways be easier than 1 to 2, I do remember it being about of a shock at first, 2 little people! But I guess anything after 2 doesn't have that effect as much. Here's hoping haha

    Jewel - I agree fully with your way of thinking! And I can't wait for big birthday parties!

    Melisa - 4 would be awesome! Not only for you but for the kids also I bet. I grew up having 6 other kids in our household at times and it was so cool, always had fun and had enough ppl to play team sports haha. I quite like a tidy house though so that part might take some getting used to lol.

    Kieren - I know right, something you can't help I guess. And thanks :)

    Amy - thanks for your kind words! Twins! That's something I hadn't thought of.. We may end up with 4 haha. I haven't measured my backseat yet but I'm sure a capsule would fit between the 2 car seats, may have to upgrade in the future though. And I like those buggy boards, carter would love it too, must see if you can get one for our strider.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going from 2-3 isn't that much different, no 3 just fits in.....well she had to in my house! They just adapt to being carted around on school runs etc, My eldest is 11 so Isabelle has to fit in with her, ALOT!! (My eldest is training for nationals in swimming and trains 2 hours+ a day)
    And if you think about it, by the time baby no 3 comes along Carter would be 4, if not 5...depending on how long it took to get pregnant, so theoretically he could be at school and Louie at kindy!

    ReplyDelete