"I've traded in the tools for toys to be a SAHD. Some say i'm crazy ... others say i'm living the dream, I definitely agree with the latter"

Saturday 26 May 2012

Just wing it

Ok, so I'm just going to come out guns blazing and say it.. I kinda have a knack for this parenting stuff, I possess an uncanny ability to turn a child's tanty (which our neighbouring properties could easily mistake for an exorcism) into laughter that if you could bottle, would make you a very wealthy person, I am to fatherhood what Dr House is to saving lives.. Ok well maybe only T.K from Shortland Street good, but you catch my drift.

There are 3 reasons why I think I have acquired this super power. Firstly, because I can be just a little bit weird, meaning.. if the wiggles had another coloured skivvy they needed filling, I would probably be a suitable candidate (and since red is already taken, I'd be Mr green wiggle). Secondly, who do kids get along with best? Answer: Other kids haha, I'm still very much a kid at heart so I love playing games, doing the crazy shake with Team Umizoomi, and searching high and low for clues with our handy dandy notebook. Finally, and probably the best explanation, is the fact that kids are just so easily pleased, they can find happiness in the simplest things, whether it be standing over the vacuum cleaner for a blow dry..




..or cooking colourful cupcakes in a cardboard box oven..




..busting rhymes with an upside down bowling pin..




..or getting a tad carried away with drawing clues in the handy dandy notebook..




..which wifey at first was not impressed with, but then laughed because it didn't happen on her watch haha.

I remember being a kid and the things that would make me happy, and all the silly things my dad would do. Basically i just try to recreate those fun times and hope my boys enjoy them just as much, because although being able to make a kid stop crying makes my new occupation easier, I still have lots to learn. So when I'm confronted with an unfamiliar situation, I turn to my remixed version of Nike's slogan.. Just wing it.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment