"I've traded in the tools for toys to be a SAHD. Some say i'm crazy ... others say i'm living the dream, I definitely agree with the latter"

Wednesday 23 May 2012

More iPads please

"Daddy I want to play on the mypad"

"Here, you can play on my phone"

"But I want to play on the mypad"

"I'm just reading something important right now (Facebook)"

"But I want to play on the mypad"

"I'll be 2 seconds and then you..."

"But I want to play on the mypad right now!"

If i'm not having this conversation with Carter, i will probably be in a tug of war/screaming battle with Woowee, with the iPad playing the role of the rope. Now I'm not a parent who chooses not to let their kids enjoy the benefits of technology (each to their own), but I do like to limit the amount of time they spend in the digital world, especially when the portal they're using to enter it is MINE haha.

I'm a big kid when it comes to gadgets, pretty sure I slept with my iPad in hand for the first week (in all honesty it still sleeps under my pillow) and even took it to work with me, even though there was only 5 minutes of the day that I would actually use it. Yup, those were the days.. Louie was still serving his 9 month sentence inside, and Carter hadn't yet reached rehab qualifiable full blown tech addiction. Now, i figure the only way for us to spend quality time (iPad and I) is if I become a ninja..




I have a black leather case though so I should be fine haha. But seriously, we need another one, ideally another 3, so then I can hand mine down and enjoy the clarity of 'The New iPad', I floated the idea of an iPod touch for Carter's 3rd birthday, but this post is evidence that the 100 watt light bulb that magically appeared above my head, soon flickered its way to a miserable death.

On the subject of little humans and technology, I find it so amazing how quickly they learn, and how willing they are to learn, many oldies foolishly assume such a thing is beyond them, but what can be easier than a device that comes with no manual? Carter's first experience with an iPhone was when he was only a few months old, he latched onto mine with his gums and sucked it like a boob, needless to say that 1st gen model suffered water damage. Although now, 3 years on, not only has he realized it doesn't have milk inside it, but he could also school people 30 years his senior on how to use any apple product, and Louie is not far behind..





..he sits there quietly studying his brothers every move, figuring out which app is YouTube and where to tap to play videos, also waiting patiently for him to put it down so he can strike!.. Gripping the mypad in 2 hands, he Usain Bolt's it into my arms for protection, then says "round n round" twirling his finger simultaneously, which means he wants to watch Wheels On The Bus, one of his fav's.

Wifey and I don't buy into the notion that all this is not good for the children, like any other toy they play with, they soon get bored and put it down to shoot hoops outside, or ride bikes on the deck. We see it as a valuable learning tool, technology is only going to get more advanced, so i think the bigger the head start the better. In saying that, we don't condone using such devices as babysitters, spend time with your kids, make sure they don't call 'Siri' mum or dad, everything in moderation.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment